Q&A with Lumafield

 


Lumafield Senior Communications Manager Interview: Questions and Answers

Question 1: Can you walk us through your experience securing top-tier media placements and how you’d apply that to position Lumafield as a thought leader in advanced manufacturing?

Answer: Over my 15+ years in communications, I’ve secured exclusives in outlets like WSJ, Forbes, and Business Insider by cultivating strong journalist relationships and pitching stories with unique angles. + Here are a few examples

For example, at Newmark Knight Frank, I elevated a vice chairman’s profile as a tech CRE thought leader, securing industry exclusives that drove market visibility. At Cushman & Wakefield, I crafted a viral tech initiative that garnered national coverage. + It was called Tech Cities, and the news portals gobbled it up. 

For Lumafield, I’d leverage my journalist network to pitch stories that highlight your industrial CT scanning technology as a game-changer in reshoring and supply chain resilience, positioning Lumafield as a go-to authority for tier-one media like Financial Times and The Verge.

Question 2: Lumafield’s technology is complex. How would you translate our industrial CT scanning and AI-driven insights into compelling, accessible stories for a broad audience?

Answer: My strength lies in distilling complex technologies into engaging narratives. Naturally, I would have a mountain of reading to do upon arrival. That's no problem. +At Barmaxx, and Austrian RFID brand, I had to translate German techno babble into cogent English.

At Direct Technology Innovations, I crafted press releases and op-eds that simplified intricate tech solutions for B2B and B2C audiences, published in TechCrunch and Business Insider. For Lumafield, I’d use analogies and visual storytelling—leveraging your stunning CT scan imagery—to make the technology relatable. For instance, I’d pitch a story to Wired comparing your scans to “X-ray vision for manufacturing,” highlighting how they uncover hidden flaws, making the story accessible while showcasing your innovation.

Question 3: How would you approach building and managing relationships with journalists to expand Lumafield’s media presence?

Answer: Just because you know a reporter or two does not mean they will find your story interesting. That's where I come in, I find ways to do just that. 

I’ve built a  network of journalists across tech, business, and trade publications through consistent engagement and delivering value. 

At Newmark, I used Cision and Muck Rack to manage media lists and tailor pitches to reporters’ beats, securing coverage in Bloomberg and Forbes. For Lumafield, I’d deepen existing relationships with outlets like The Verge and Financial Times, while targeting new ones like TechCrunch and IndustryWeek. I’d offer journalists exclusive access to your CT scan data or customer success stories, ensuring Lumafield becomes a trusted source for manufacturing insights.

Question 4: Can you share an example of a time you managed a PR agency or contractor, and how would you structure that partnership at Lumafield?

Answer: At Direct Technology Innovations, I hired and managed a PR contractor to scale our media outreach, setting clear KPIs like securing three top-tier placements per quarter. I provided strategic direction while allowing them to execute tactical pitching, resulting in AP and WSJ coverage. For Lumafield, I’d select an agency with deep tech expertise, set goals for tier-one coverage and thought leadership pieces, and ensure alignment with our internal marketing team’s visual storytelling to amplify campaigns.

Question 5: How would you collaborate with Lumafield’s executive team to shape thought leadership narratives?

Answer: I’ve worked closely with countless senior executives, such as at Newmark, where I crafted talking points and op-eds that positioned leaders as industry voices. 

I coached them on what to say, how to say it and even what I suggest they wear. It's also important to take note of the background. What image do you wish to portray? 

For Lumafield, I’d conduct regular strategy sessions with your executive team to distill their insights on advanced manufacturing trends, like reshoring or supply chain innovation. I’d then translate these into compelling narratives for outlets like HBR or IndustryWeek, ensuring Lumafield’s leadership is seen as visionary in the global manufacturing conversation.

Question 6: Lumafield has strong organic traction on social media. How would you align our communications strategy with our social media and content teams?

Answer: I'm an early adopter with social; I believe I was twitter member number 2,000 way back in the day. Today, I teach young Zoomers and Millennials at the University of Florida how to properly engage with social and focus on their personal brand. You'd be surprised how few college kids and those 5 years out of college do not know how to do this properly.

At Cushman & Wakefield, I aligned PR and social media by integrating press releases with targeted digital campaigns, growing engagement by 25%. For Lumafield, I’d work with your social media team to amplify media coverage, using your visually striking CT scans in posts on platforms like LinkedIn and X. I’d ensure messaging consistency across channels, repurposing thought leadership articles into bite-sized social content to maximize reach and engagement.

Question 7: How would you pitch Lumafield’s story to position it within the broader conversation about reshoring and supply chain resilience?

Answer: I’d frame Lumafield as a critical enabler of reshoring by highlighting how your CT scanning and AI tools provide unmatched visibility into manufacturing processes, reducing risks and costs. For example, I’d pitch a story to Financial Times on how Lumafield’s technology helps U.S. manufacturers compete globally by ensuring quality control. I’d use customer case studies and data from your platform to ground the narrative, making it relevant to the supply chain resilience discussion.

Question 8: Describe a time you handled a high-stakes communications challenge, such as a product launch or crisis, and how you’d apply that experience at Lumafield.

Answer: At Newmark, I managed crisis communications during a high-profile client issue, crafting executive talking points and securing neutral coverage to mitigate reputational risk. In my career, I've also worked with shopping center developers and had to deal with the before and after of earthquakes and hurricanes. 

For Lumafield, I’d apply this by preparing proactive messaging for product launches, ensuring clear, compelling narratives that highlight your technology’s value. In a crisis, I’d work with leadership to address issues transparently, using my journalist network to shape the narrative and maintain trust.

Question 9: Lumafield’s scans are visually compelling. How would you incorporate visual storytelling into our media strategy?

Answer: Your scans are a storytelling goldmine. At Cushman & Wakefield, I produced a multimedia campaign with videos and slideshows that boosted engagement by 30%. For Lumafield, I’d pitch visual stories to outlets like The Verge, showcasing your scans to illustrate manufacturing breakthroughs. I’d also collaborate with your marketing team to create video content for social platforms, highlighting how your technology reveals hidden product insights, making complex ideas visually accessible.

Question 10: What excites you about Lumafield’s mission, and how do you see yourself contributing to it?

Answer: I’m thrilled by Lumafield’s mission to revolutionize manufacturing through cutting-edge technology and accessibility. 

My passion for storytelling and deep experience in tech PR align perfectly with your goal to redefine industry narratives. I see myself driving Lumafield’s visibility by securing high-impact coverage, crafting thought leadership that positions you as a manufacturing authority, and leveraging your visual assets to tell stories that resonate globally, ultimately helping shape the future of advanced manufacturing.